My Blog

Portable Fireplace Safety

Portable ethanol fireplaces don’t release toxic fumes and are generally safe and secure to use. They have increased in popularity because they are usually harmless and easy to use. However, if mishandled, they can cause serious personal injuries, possible damages to your home, or even a significant house fire.

The following is a list of safety tips that you need to know about operating portable fireplaces:

-Children should never be allowed to handle the device or the fuel. When lit, keep children and pets at a safe distance from the fire.

-Be sure to place the fireplace on a sturdy surface and keep flammable objects at least four feet away at all times.

-Always use ethanol fuel made for portable fireplaces. Unlike common alcohols, approved bioethanol emits non-toxic gasses when burned.

-Store ethanol fuel in a closed container, away from the fireplace. It may not be easy to see the ethanol flame. Always use a snuffer to be sure the flame is extinguished.

-To reduce the risk of injury, use long matches or a utility lighter to start the fire.

-Never refuel the fireplace while it’s lit. Wait at least fifteen minutes for the device to cool down after use before refueling.

-Clean up any fuel spillage and be sure all liquid has evaporated before lighting the fireplace.

-Allow the device to cool down after use. DO NOT move the fireplace while it is burning or hot.

-Never leave a lit fireplace unsupervised.

-Always put out the flames before you go to sleep for the night or when you exit the room to leave the house.

Stay safe and enjoy your fireplace!

Follow us on Facebook or visit our website @ www.firefighter-pgh.com for more life safety and fire prevention tips!

Fire FighterPortable Fireplace Safety

Related Posts